The African Centre for Democracy and Human Rights Studies is looking for an Office Manager. If you’re interested, please review the brief summary of the position below.
The African Centre for Democracy and Human Rights Studies (ACDHRS) is an independent, non-profit regional pan-African human rights NGO based in Banjul, The Gambia, initially set up in 1989 by an Act of Parliament of the Republic of The Gambia and revised statutes in 1995.
The African Centre seeks, amongst others, to uphold and promote Article 25 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights which states that: State Parties have the duty to ‘promote and ensure, through teaching, education and publication, respect of the rights and freedoms contained in the present Charter and to see to it that these freedoms and rights as well as corresponding obligations and duties are understood’.
The African Centre seeks to recruit an Office Manager to provide administrative/logistical support.
Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Office Manager will:
– Be responsible for the general administrative activities of the Centre;
– Provide support to the management and implementation of Projects, administrative and logistical support for the smooth implementation of all Project activities of the Centre
– Liaise with the Executive Director and other programme staff to coordinate the Forum for Participation of NGOs in the Ordinary Sessions of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights and other activities.
– Supervise junior and ancillary staff, and all personnel matters;
– Be responsible for the co-ordination of all logistics relating to conferences workshops and seminars organised by the Centre and or its partners;
– Carry out protocol duties during seminars, workshops and training courses organised by the Centre;
– Apply for visa and all travel related arrangements for staff as and when the need arises (flight bookings, hotel accommodations, application for travel time and imprest, airport pickup and drop off etc);
– Apply for residential permits (for Non-Gambian staff);
– Apply for airport identity cards;
– Registration of new staff in the Social Security Scheme as may be necessary, facilitate the payment by Social Security in the event a staff leaves the service of the ACDHRS, request for up-to-date statements from Social Security for current staff;
– Facilitate the repair/maintenance of office equipment as and when the need arises (computers, printers, air conditioners, vehicle, generator etc)
– Oversee the purchase and use of office supplies/stationery (negotiate with suppliers the supply conditions in terms of cost, quality, terms of payment;
– Oversee the re-organization/update of the filing system;
– Maintain/Update personnel files; – Prepare of annual leave roaster;
– Handle petty cash and prepare reconciliation
– Draft response to correspondences for review by the Executive Director;
– Attend meetings on behalf of the African Centre;
– Liaise to prepare notice/agenda and minutes of staff meetings;
– Any other duties as may be assigned by Executive Director or Representative
Qualifications and key competencies:
– Hold a Bachelors’ Degree in the Social Sciences or Humanities from an internationally recognized University or equivalent from a recognized Institution;
– 3 years work experience in a similar position, preferably with a human rights organization in administrative position;
– Experience in logistics, project management and implementation, reporting and communication skills, etc
– Proficiency in English with the ability to understand and speak French being an added advantage; excellent use of computer and related skills;
– Excellent team player with ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines, be innovative and be results-oriented.
Remuneration: Depends on qualifications and experience
Commencement date: Immediately
Email application addressed to the Executive Director (including CV, references and supporting documents) to: firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 6:00pm (Gambian time) on Friday, 7th December, 2018.
Only successful Applicants will be contacted.
No telephone calls or follow-up emails please.