The Forum on NGO Participation at the Ordinary Session of the ACHPR recommends:
The adoption by ECOWAS Member States of a legal instrument restricting and regulating the importation, trading and manufacture of small arms (ALPC);
1. The prohibition of the transfer of arms to non-state parties within the ECOWAS Zone;
2. The Strengthening of the institutional and technical capacity of the National Commissions (NATCOM) to render them functional and efficient by:
3. That the effective control of the circulation of Small Arms be ensured through:
4. The effective implementation by ECOWAS Member States of the sub-regional, regional and international Conventions on the Protection of Children before, during and after conflicts:
5. The urgent transformation of the moratorium expiring in October, 2004 into a Convention and the setting up of a Small Arms Department within ECOWAS.
6. The strengthening of the AU/NEPAD Security Programme, the United Nations Action Plan, and the recommendations of Children’s Organisations.
7. Increased sensitisation campaigns on the sale of small arms.
8. The strengthening of National Commissions which serve as focal points for the implementation of all Small Arms Agreements.
Done in Banjul, May 20th, 2004