NGO Forum of the 48 ordinary Session (7-8 November 2010) of The African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR)
The disability working group recommends that:
1. We urge the Commission to respond to the Thematic Recommendations of the NGO Forum at the 47th Ordinary Session (8-10 May 2010):
Especially to the following:
2. The ACHPR’s process in developing a Disability Protocol that addresses the human rights of PWD must actively include the participation of persons with disabilities (PWD), their organizations and their partners.
3. Given the diversity of disability, broad consultations must take place and underrepresented groups must be facilitated and encouraged to participate in the Protocol drafting.
4. Too Little information exists as to the status and rights of PWD disabilities in Africa, therefore research needs to be initiated and data gathered by the Commission.
5. Accessible information, in alternative formats, for example Braille and sign language etc. must be provided in order that persons with disabilities can meaningfully participate and be extensively included.
6. All Commissioners, Special Rapporteurs, focal points of the Commission working groups of the Commission mainstream disability rights in their areas of work.
Importantly we also call the NGO forum:
7. To Facilitate a panel on the promotion and protection of disability rights at the 49th Ordinary Session of the NGO Forum.
Done at Banjul, November 9th, 2010