We the participants at the NGO Forum preceding in the 51st Ordinary Session of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights and the 25th African human Rights Book fair held from 14th-16 April, 2012 in Banjul, The Gambia
Deeply concerned about the bad human rights record in Angola, the repressive laws to restrict operations, performance and activities of human rights organizations, the media, the press and journalists, which contradict commitments and obligations on the African Charter
Concerned about the lack of democratic participation of the citizens and consultations in the processes of development in the country.
Concerned that organizations working on the African system of human rights were not consulted in the preparation of the state report presented by the government of Angola at 51st session of the African Commission.
We call upon the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights to urge the government of Angola to do the following:
- Comply with its obligations under the ACHPR and the Angolan Constitution to end impunity, arbitrary detention, torture and harassment of citizens participation in democratic processes, including marches, demonstrations and picketing
- Respect Article 11 of the ACHPR which guarantee freedom of expression, freedom of the press, internet media, right to assembly and association
- To implement the law enacted in 2006 guaranteeing freedom of the press and protection of journalist and HRDs
- To implement Art 22 of the ACHPR to ensure indigent communities benefit from national strategy addressing poverty
- To ensure the rights of the Khoisan population are respected in all spheres of society and benefit from the national developmental programmes
- To end illegal demolitions of properties of indigent population, including women, children, elderly, people with disability and compensate the internally displaced people according to provisions of the Charter and law
- Speed up the process of creation and establishment of National Human Rights Institutions according to Article 26 of the ACHPR
Done in Banjul – 16 April, 2012