We, the participants of the NGO Forum preceding the 54th Ordinary Session of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR) and the 28th African Human Rights Book Fair held from 18th – 20th October, 2013 in Banjul, The Gambia, hereby recommends to the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights to:
- Encourage African member states to consider ratification of the Optional Protocol of the International Covenant on Economic, Social, and Cultural Rights.
- Encourage NGOs to advocate for the ratification and implementation of this protocol at the national level.
- Protect Africa’s multiculturalism as an integral value of a sustainable economic development strategy. This should include a serious reform of 50 years of failing bilateralism where environmental, social and cultural breakdowns need to be addressed.
- Develop an integrated, holistic approach involving human rights, environment, and sustainable development to drive new employment opportunities for Africa’s younger generation.
- Engage cultural and religious leaders in serious review of positive and negative beliefs and values that prove to be barriers to economic development and well-being for the continent.
Done in Banjul, The Gambia on 20th October, 2013