TREC/001/4/2015: THEMATIC RECOMMENDATION ON THE RIGHTS OF OLDER PERSONS AND PEOPLE LIVING WITH DISABILITIES
We, the participants of the NGOs Forum preceding the 56th Session of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights and the 30th African Human Rights Book Fair held in Banjul, The Gambia from 17th to 19th April 2015;
Call upon the African Commission to:
1. Encourage Member States that have ratified the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CPRD) to domesticate and implement it;
2. Encourage the Member Mtates to ratify the Marrakech treaty, which was adopted in June, 2013 so that persons with visual impairment and otherwise persons with print disabilities get access to published books or arts;
3. Urge NGOs and other human rights organizations to support Disabled Persons’ Organizations and other disability programmes in preparation of shadow reports on the CRPD;
4. Encourage Member States to have data on Children with Disabilities both in and out of school;
5. Call upon Member States to provide disaggregated data in their programme work and in particular in their reports in terms of gender, age and disability;
6. Encourage Member States to include disability rights in their country reports to the Commission;
7. Institute a study on the right to accessibility and reasonable accommodation for persons with disability in Africa.
8. Urge Member States to take responsibility on the rights of older persons within the framework of inclusive development.
Done in Banjul, The Gambia – 19th April, 2015