The International Center for Not-for-Profit Law (ICNL) is soliciting applications for an individual or organizational consultant to assist with legal research on laws and policies that impact internet freedoms and online freedom of expression in Mozambique. The overall budget cap for this consultancy is $5,000 USD – proposals will be assessed for cost competitiveness, subject matter expertise, and other factors. Applications are due by September 10, 2021. For more details and application instructions, please see below.
ICNL promotes the freedoms of association, assembly, and expression and supports civil society, civic participation, digital rights, and philanthropy in countries around the
world. ICNL actively supports regional and local civil society organizations as well as other stakeholders to better understand national laws that impact online civic space. The Consultant will assist ICNL with drafting a report to assess the ability of Mozambique’s citizens to exercise their rights to freedom of expression and privacy online as well as the general state of internet freedoms in the country. To contribute to these efforts, the Consultant will conduct research on Mozambique in close collaboration with ICNL staff.
The consultant’s duties will include, but are not limited to:
• Gathering all laws or draft bills that affect internet freedoms, such as laws that impact access to the internet, enable online censorship, or permit digital surveillance;
• Researching how the laws are enforced and how they impact online civic space;
• Translating the laws or relevant provisions into English (the consultant may do the translation themselves or subcontract to a qualified translator); and
• Collaborating with ICNL staff to draft a comprehensive assessment report.
ICNL anticipates the research and accompanying report to be completed by end of November.
1126 16th Street NW #400
Washington, DC 20036
To apply for this position, please send the following:
• Proposal (no more than 2 pages) that addresses:
o Your qualifications (which should demonstrate how you meet the selection criteria listed below);
o If more than one person will be involved in this project, a description of who will undertake different aspects of the project. ICNL reserves the right to approve or reject the use of any personnel; and
o The proposed timeline and cost proposal for this consultancy. The pricing for the cost proposal must be in USD and fully itemized. For personnel costs, please list each person to be involved in this project, the proposed day rate(s) and number of days. All other costs, such as subcontracting to a translator, should be listed and explained. The proposed price should be inclusive of all taxes. ICNL expects to issue one Firm Fixed Price contract.
• Writing Sample (3-5 pages)
Applicants will be evaluated based on the following factors:
• Compliance with eligibility requirements and application procedures;
• Depth of knowledge of and experience with Mozambique’s legal environment
(specific knowledge of internet freedom issues is an advantage);
• Law degree preferred, but not required;
• Proficiency in English and Portuguese;
• Experience researching and writing similar reports;
• Quality of the proposal;
• Commitment to producing high quality reports in a timely manner; and
• Proposed Fee and value for money.
Applications should be emailed to email@example.com, with reference made to “Mozambique Research Consultancy” in the subject line. All application materials should be submitted in English. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis through September 10, 2021.
Please email us should you have questions about the application process.