11th – 19th December 2020
1. The African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (“the Commission”) held its 30th Extra-Ordinary Session (“the Session”) virtually from the 11th to 19th December 2020.
2. The Session was convened to discuss the implementation of its Strategic Plan 2021-2025, which was adopted during its 67th Ordinary Session held virtually from 13th November – 3rd December 2020, as well as to consider and adopt its 2021 Annual Work Plan in line with the new Strategic Plan, among other things.
3. The Session was chaired by Honourable CommissionerSolomon Ayele Dersso, Chairperson of the Commission, and assisted by Honourable CommissionerRémy Ngoy Lumbu, Vice-Chairperson of the Commission.
4. The following Members of the Commission participated in the Session:
i. Honourable Commissioner Solomon Ayele Dersso, Chairperson;
ii. Honourable Commissioner Rémy Ngoy Lumbu, Vice Chairperson;
iii. Honourable Commissioner Maya Sahli-Fadel;
iv. Honourable Commissioner Jamesina Essie L. King;
v. Honourable Commissioner Hatem Essaiem;
vi. Honourable Commissioner Maria Teresa Manuela;
vii. Honourable Commissioner Marie Louise Abomo;
viii. Honourable Commissioner Mudford Zachariah Mwandenga; and
ix. Honourable Commissioner Alexia Gertrude Amesbury.
5. Honourable Commissioner Sylvie Kayitesi Zainabo and Honourable Commissioner Ndiamé Gaye did not take part in the Session and sent their apologies for their absence.
6. The Commission considered and deliberated on the following items:
i. End of year review of the work of the ACHPR in 2020;
ii. Implementation of the Strategic Plan 2021-2025;
iii. Proposed strategic priorities for the year 2021;
iv. Annual Work Plan 2021; and
v. Partner-Funding to the ACHPR (EU Support Programme 2021 – 2023 and GIZ Support Programme 2021 – 2023).
7. The Commission also received a presentation from the Head of Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Division of the African Union Commission (AUC), Mr. Tichawona Shumba, on Results Based Management and the implementation of the Commission’s Strategic Plan 2021-2025.
8. The Commission decided to hold its 31st Extra Ordinary Session from the 19th to 25th February 2021 and its 68th Ordinary Session from 14th April to 4th May 2021. Further details on the respective Sessions will be made available on the website of the Commission in due course.
9. The Commission expresses its sincere gratitude to all Commissioners, the Secretariat Staff and Interpreters for a successful Session.
10. The Session closed on 19th December 2020.
Done this 19th day of December 2020