ABOUT THE TRAINING
The Training of Trainers (TOT) is an activity under the project ‘Consolidating civil society’s role in the transition from African human rights standards to practice’ to be implemented by the International Commission for Jurists(European Institutions and Kenya branches), Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) and the African Centre for Democracy and Human Rights Studies (ACDHRS).
Independent civil society actors and human rights defenders are key players of social change at the national and local levels who monitor the application of international human rights standards, follow-up of the implementation of judgments, decisions and recommendations of African regional human rights mechanisms. They also contribute to the consolidation of States’ capacity to ensure implementation of regional and international human rights standards.
Objectives of the Training: The general objective of the TOT workshop is to build the capacity of a large group of Trainers representing human rights NGOs, Journalists and Lawyers to equip them with knowledge and skills for a proper and more effective way to engage with the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights (ACHPR), the Committee of Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child (ACERWC) and the African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights for strategic engagement and litigation by civil society. It will serve as an induction especially for those HRDs with little or no prior experience engaging the African human rights system.
Participants: The training will target representatives of human rights NGOs, Practitioners/Lawyers, Journalists from North Africa (Algeria, Egypt, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, and Tunisia).
Interested participants are encouraged to apply online on or before Thursday, 28th June, 2018 and must meet the following criteria:
– Submit motivation statement
– Submit (prior to arrival in Morocco) a report on the human rights situation in your respective country (maximum 5 pages)
– Be actively involved in the last two years in human rights work,
– Submit abridged curriculum vitae (maximum one page)
– Submit copy of passport
Resource Persons: Resource Persons will be drawn from the Organizers and Partners pool of Resource Persons.
Date and venue: 21 – 22 July, 2018 – Rabat, Morocco
Languages: The Training of Trainers (TOT) will be directed in both English and French with simultaneous interpretation services.
Methodologies: The course will be conducted in both English and French with simultaneous interpretation facilities. It would comprise general lectures and discussion, debates, case studies and break-out sessions.
- Pool of Trainers on the African human rights system
- Familiar with the African human rights instruments, including theoretical and practical knowledge of the instruments
- Enhanced knowledge for advocacy, lobbying for engagement and litigation before the African Commission, African Court and Committee of Experts on the Rights and Welfare of the Child,
- Networking opportunity with civil society organizations on issues of mutual interest;
- Learning and sharing of best practices for engagement (for applying for observer status, filing communications, making statements at Commission’s Sessions, etc.)
Monitoring and Evaluation: An immediate evaluation will be carried out following the end of the TOT. A follow-up evaluation will be done six months thereafter to further evaluate how participant have progressed in engaging with the Mechanisms, if any.
Certificate: Participants would be certificated at the end of the training.
Follow us on Social Media:
Face book: https://www.facebook.com/ACDHRS
For further information or clarifications, please contact : Ms. Joanna Forster–Assistant Project Officer – Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. John Gbenagnon, Communication and Information Officer, Email: email@example.com; WhatsApp: +220 7237273
Mrs Adama Jah-Cooper, Administrator, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Tel: +220 4462341.